Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

What Is Creativity? - 18

I had one of those "Duh!" moments this week. As in, why hadn't I recognized this before?

For more than 35 years, I've known, and taught, that each of our voices is unique. Because each of our bodies - the resonance chambers that our voices bounce around in - is unique.

And I've taught that no two persons will interpret a song or poem in the same way, because our memories, our life experiences, are unique to us. That theory was put to the test when two students wanted to perform Schumann's song cycle, "Frauenliebe und -leben," at the same performance class. 8 songs? Sung twice? Nice theory, but I had no idea how the audience would respond. I needn't have worried. Not only were the interpretations of the lyrics very different, but even the music sounded different. The audience was intrigued by the experience, not bored.

Why then, had I not recognized that each of our brains is unique? That the neurons and their networks have branched, grown, become stronger (or the reverse) because of our experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment